HIV spreading among students in China
Beijing: The number of Chinese students registered as infected with HIV is on the rise, with homosexual transmission becoming the major cause of new infections, an official here said today.
A total of 1,700 students were reported HIV positive in 2012, a 24.5 per cent increase year on year, Yu Jingjin, an official with the National Health and Family Planning Commission said.
Of the newly reported cases, 64.8 per cent of the infections are attributable to homosexual contact, Yu said, adding that 87 per cent of the total HIV/AIDS cases in 2012 came via sexual transmission.
In total, China has reported more than 7,000 HIV positive students. The first AIDS patient in China was found in 1985.
According to previous reports about 18,000 people died of AIDS in the first ten months of last year in China as number of HIV cases touched about five lakh. This marked over 20 per cent increase among people aged 15 to 24 and also of those above 50 years.
Chinese Health Ministry said 17,740 AIDS-related deaths were reported in the country from January to October last year, a year-on-year increase of 8.6 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi