HIV spreading among students in China
Beijing: The number of Chinese students registered as infected with HIV is on the rise, with homosexual transmission becoming the major cause of new infections, an official here said today.
A total of 1,700 students were reported HIV positive in 2012, a 24.5 per cent increase year on year, Yu Jingjin, an official with the National Health and Family Planning Commission said.
Of the newly reported cases, 64.8 per cent of the infections are attributable to homosexual contact, Yu said, adding that 87 per cent of the total HIV/AIDS cases in 2012 came via sexual transmission.
In total, China has reported more than 7,000 HIV positive students. The first AIDS patient in China was found in 1985.
According to previous reports about 18,000 people died of AIDS in the first ten months of last year in China as number of HIV cases touched about five lakh. This marked over 20 per cent increase among people aged 15 to 24 and also of those above 50 years.
Chinese Health Ministry said 17,740 AIDS-related deaths were reported in the country from January to October last year, a year-on-year increase of 8.6 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery