HK journalists slam China for violating press freedom following beating of cameramen in Beijing
Sydney: Hong Kong journalists have condemned an attack on two cameramen outside the home of the wife of jailed Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo in Beijing.
The journalists slammed the attack as a violation of press freedom.
According to the Herald Sun, the two cameramen were beaten up by a group of unidentified men when they were filming an activist’s attempting to visit Liu Xia, who is herself under house arrest, at her apartment building on Friday.
One of the cameramen was punched in the face and pushed to the ground, while the attackers also tried to snatch the camera from the other journalist and hit him in the head, Hong Kong TV news footage and reports said.
In a statement late Friday, the Hong Kong Journalists Association said that the violence is a serious infringement of press freedom, the report said.
According to the report, the security guards at Liu Xia’s apartment had refused to let Hong Kong activist Yang Kuang enter, before a group of men came out to push away him and started abusing the journalists and bet the two cameramen.
A spokesman for the Hong Kong government said it was ‘highly concerned’ over the incident, and that the right to report on the mainland must be respected.
Liu Xia has been held under house arrest since her husband - who was sentenced to 11 years in jail in 2009 for "subversion" after co-authoring a bold petition calling for reforms - won the peace prize in October 2010, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened