HK tycoon brothers plead not guilty in graft case
Hong Kong: Hong Kong`s billionaire Kwok brothers pleaded not guilty to graft charges on Friday, setting the stage for the city`s biggest corruption trial in years.
The pleas entered by Thomas and Raymond Kwok all but ensure their case will head to trial in the city`s High Court. The brothers are joint chairmen of Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd, one of the Hong Kong`s biggest developers. Forbes estimates they are the third richest people in Hong Kong, with a combined net worth of USD 20 billion.
Anti-corruption police arrested and charged the Kwoks last year, along with three others. Prosecutors allege that the prominent developers gave bribes in exchange for lucrative information on pending land sales.
The three other defendants also pleaded not guilty to a slightly revised set of charges.
They include Rafael Hui, formerly the second highest ranking government official; a former senior officer at stock exchange operator Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing; and an executive director at Sun Hung Kai.
Hui is alleged to have provided land sale information to the Kwoks between 2005 and 2007.
The corruption scandal shocked the southern Chinese financial centre, where residents have traditionally revered the city`s tycoons. But widening inequality, much of it linked to skyrocketing housing costs in the densely populated city, means that has given way in recent years to public anger over the billionaire class, many of whom made their fortunes in property.
Prosecutor Kevin Zervos said at the brief hearing that 72 witnesses would testify.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt