Hoax bomb scare hits Russia`s nuke assembling centre
Moscow: A hoax bomb scare on Friday hit
Russia`s top secret centre for assembling nuclear explosives
in the Ural town of Lesnoy.
A wired device with a timer mechanism found on a
windowsill by the guard in a medical centre in the closed town
of Lesnoy - turned out to be a sham, ITAR-TASS reported.
The bogus device was destroyed with due precaution
by a robot-mounted water canon.
Inside the wired package, two anonymous letters
were found, signed by "not indifferent citizens of Lesnoy"
addressed to the Russian authorities concerning "problems" the
citizens are having with the local authorities.
"If help does not come, Lesnoy citizens will act on
their own accord," the letter says.
The simulated bomb was used to attract public and
media attention to the letters. Institution of criminal
proceedings is underway.
Earlier, sniffer dogs had confirmed the mechanism
contained explosives. Furthermore, a note left with the bomb
said it was dangerous to come close, not just to the bomb, but
to the whole building of the medical facility.
As a result, a school and two nearby apartment
blocks were evacuated. Local police cordoned off the area
around the mined building and bomb disposal experts were
About 350 FSB security service agents and police were
deployed at all the vital installations in the nuclear town.
The town of Lesnoy is a closed administrative
territorial entity. The backbone enterprise in this
one-company town is Elektrokhimpribor, a diversified
enterprise producing defence production, including utilisation
and assembly of nuclear munitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!