Hoax call: Australia radio presenters receive death threats
Melbourne: Death threats have been made against the staff of an Australian radio station whose DJs made a prank call to a UK hospital treating pregnant Princes Kate, prompting some of the employees to move to safe houses.
About a dozen staff of Sydney-based 2DayFM station have been moved into safe houses and up to 10 executives have been assigned bodyguards following death threats against them, the Daily Telegraph reported.
The radio station management has recruited 24-hour security to guard the staff and the safe house venue, costing the company an estimated USD 75,000 a week, the report said.
The development came after a threat letter was received on Thursday against Michael Christian, one of the DJs whose prank call led to the death of 46-year-old Jacintha Saldanha.
The letter, which came from South Australia, stated "bullets out there with your (Christian`s) name on it". Further unreportable threats involving a shotgun were also made. The letter was seized by detectives for examination.
The Australian police have initiated a probe into the death threats and have spoken with the Southern Cross Austereo`s employees about security and other matters and are also monitoring social media for other threats, the paper said.
The company which runs 2Day FM radio station has been under severe criticism after Mel Greig and Christian posing as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles made the call which was received by Saldanha at London`s King Edward VII Hospital.
She put them through to a colleague who divulged details of the pregnant Kate`s health conditions. Saldanha was subsequently found dead.
Meanwhile, the company said it was preparing at the long-haul, with specialist security expected to be in place for several weeks or months.
"We still have details to come from the hospital and the release of the suicide note. Depending on what comes from that could trigger more anger," the paper reported quoting a source.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read