Hoax call: Australia radio presenters receive death threats
Melbourne: Death threats have been made against the staff of an Australian radio station whose DJs made a prank call to a UK hospital treating pregnant Princes Kate, prompting some of the employees to move to safe houses.
About a dozen staff of Sydney-based 2DayFM station have been moved into safe houses and up to 10 executives have been assigned bodyguards following death threats against them, the Daily Telegraph reported.
The radio station management has recruited 24-hour security to guard the staff and the safe house venue, costing the company an estimated USD 75,000 a week, the report said.
The development came after a threat letter was received on Thursday against Michael Christian, one of the DJs whose prank call led to the death of 46-year-old Jacintha Saldanha.
The letter, which came from South Australia, stated "bullets out there with your (Christian`s) name on it". Further unreportable threats involving a shotgun were also made. The letter was seized by detectives for examination.
The Australian police have initiated a probe into the death threats and have spoken with the Southern Cross Austereo`s employees about security and other matters and are also monitoring social media for other threats, the paper said.
The company which runs 2Day FM radio station has been under severe criticism after Mel Greig and Christian posing as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles made the call which was received by Saldanha at London`s King Edward VII Hospital.
She put them through to a colleague who divulged details of the pregnant Kate`s health conditions. Saldanha was subsequently found dead.
Meanwhile, the company said it was preparing at the long-haul, with specialist security expected to be in place for several weeks or months.
"We still have details to come from the hospital and the release of the suicide note. Depending on what comes from that could trigger more anger," the paper reported quoting a source.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India