Holbrooke in Afghanistan; to visit Central Asia
Washington: The Special US Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke, is on his seventh visit to Kabul and from here he will make his maiden trip to the five Central Asian countries.
State Department Deputy Acting Spokesman Mark Toner said Holbrooke would also travel to Pakistan following his Kabul trip.
"From Afghanistan, he will travel to Pakistan and then - not in any particular order -- to Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Georgia and Berlin.”
“It`s his first visit to the five Central Asian countries in his capacity as SRAP," Toner said at a State Department news conference.
"Three of them border Afghanistan, obviously, and all five are involved in the region. So he (Holbrooke) looks forward to the opportunity for face-to-face talks," he said.
On his seventh trip to the region since last year, Holbrooke met top US and Afghan officials including President Hamid Karzai and the country`s Foreign and Interior Ministers.
During these meetings he discussed a range of issues, including, Operation Moshtarak in Marjah, Helmand province, as well as the training of the Afghan National Police.
"In Marjah, civilians have been involved in every phase of the planning and execution of the stabilisation effort, working alongside coalition forces and the Afghan military to support Afghan Government efforts to deliver governance and stability to the area immediately after the security operations," Toner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof