Holbrooke in Afghanistan; to visit Central Asia
Washington: The Special US Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke, is on his seventh visit to Kabul and from here he will make his maiden trip to the five Central Asian countries.
State Department Deputy Acting Spokesman Mark Toner said Holbrooke would also travel to Pakistan following his Kabul trip.
"From Afghanistan, he will travel to Pakistan and then - not in any particular order -- to Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Georgia and Berlin.”
“It`s his first visit to the five Central Asian countries in his capacity as SRAP," Toner said at a State Department news conference.
"Three of them border Afghanistan, obviously, and all five are involved in the region. So he (Holbrooke) looks forward to the opportunity for face-to-face talks," he said.
On his seventh trip to the region since last year, Holbrooke met top US and Afghan officials including President Hamid Karzai and the country`s Foreign and Interior Ministers.
During these meetings he discussed a range of issues, including, Operation Moshtarak in Marjah, Helmand province, as well as the training of the Afghan National Police.
"In Marjah, civilians have been involved in every phase of the planning and execution of the stabilisation effort, working alongside coalition forces and the Afghan military to support Afghan Government efforts to deliver governance and stability to the area immediately after the security operations," Toner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers