Hollande urges `flexibilities` in applying EU budget rules
Paris: French President Francois Hollande called Tuesday for "flexibilities" in applying EU budget rules, as Italy`s prime minister said on the same day that a shake-up was needed in Europe`s approach to growth.
"France proposes that budgetary rules be applied in a manner favourable to investment and employment," Hollande wrote in a letter to European Council President Herman Van Rompuy, in extracts published in daily Le Monde.
"It is about taking full advantage of flexibilities to take into account reforms undertaken by countries and their economic situations," he wrote.
Hollande and Renzi have been pushing for a rethink of the EU`s strict budget policies and German-backed austerity efforts ahead of a key summit that starts in Brussels on Thursday.
France and Italy have denied seeking to change the rule that budget deficits should not exceed three percent of annual gross domestic product, but have repeatedly called for more leeway in how it is applied.
In the letter to Van Rompuy, Hollande said the foundations had been laid for an economic rebound in Europe but a "deeper discussion" was needed on budgets.
"The goal is to guarantee a balanced budget policy for the eurozone," Hollande said.
He said the impact of national decisions on the whole EU also needed more study, raising concerns about "weak inflation".
Hollande also called for increased coordination of social policies across the 28-member bloc, for example with a Europe-wide minimum wage and minimum levels of corporate taxes.
Italy`s Matteo Renzi meanwhile told the Italian parliament on Tuesday that rigidity on rules was hampering efforts to kickstart European economies.
He warned the "high priests and prophets of austerity" that "there can be no stability possible if there is no growth."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical