Holocaust victims mourned at Auschwitz and beyond
Warsaw (Poland): Holocaust survivors, politicians, religious leaders and others are marking International Holocaust Remembrance Day with solemn prayers and the now oft-repeated warnings to never let such horrors happen again.
Events today took place at sites including Auschwitz-Birkenau, the former death camp where Hitler`s Germany killed at least 1.1 million people, mostly Jews, in southern Poland. Today is the 68th anniversary of the liberation of the camp by Soviet troops in 1945.
In Warsaw, prayers were also held at a monument to the fighters of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943.
And in Rome, Pope Benedict XVI warned that "the memory of this immense tragedy, which above all struck so harshly the Jewish people, must represent for everyone a constant warning so that the horrors of the past are not repeated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why