Holocaust victims mourned at Auschwitz and beyond
Warsaw (Poland): Holocaust survivors, politicians, religious leaders and others are marking International Holocaust Remembrance Day with solemn prayers and the now oft-repeated warnings to never let such horrors happen again.
Events today took place at sites including Auschwitz-Birkenau, the former death camp where Hitler`s Germany killed at least 1.1 million people, mostly Jews, in southern Poland. Today is the 68th anniversary of the liberation of the camp by Soviet troops in 1945.
In Warsaw, prayers were also held at a monument to the fighters of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943.
And in Rome, Pope Benedict XVI warned that "the memory of this immense tragedy, which above all struck so harshly the Jewish people, must represent for everyone a constant warning so that the horrors of the past are not repeated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state