Homosexuality `against human spirit`: Iranian Prez
Tehran: Iran`s hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday that homosexuality is "against the human spirit”, the ILNA news agency reported.
In a 2007 speech at New York`s Columbia University, he notoriously said, "In Iran we don`t have homosexuals like in your country", skirting a question about the treatment of gays in the Islamic republic infamously.
He was met with howls and boos from the audience and his remarks were later widely criticised by rights groups.
Addressing officials in the city of Yazd on Thursday, he said: "They asked me (at Columbia) why you crack down on homosexuals in Iran? I answered we don`t have so many homosexuals in Iran because we believe this act is against the human spirit and humanity."
Gay sex is banned and punishable by death under Iran`s sharia-based law. Transvestites are also arrested in the country, where observing the Islamic dress code for women is mandatory.
However, the state allows sex-change operations for transsexuals.
Ahmadinejad further criticised Western culture, saying its people are "lost in a desert of lust," and also took aim at his own country`s family-planning policy, the Ilna news agency reported.
"We do not want man lost in the desert of lust but we want man up in heaven," he was quoted as telling in Yazd.
Rejecting Iran`s successful family-planning programme, he told Iranians to procreate, boasting an "Iranian-Islamic" development model can "conquer the world”.
"The `two kids are enough` motto belongs to the West`s humanist and liberal system that says `children are a nuisance, go have fun’," he said of a nearly two-decade-old policy that encourages small families and makes contraceptives free of charge.
In recent years, Ahmadinejad has mocked the policy on several occasions.
"When we said two kids are not enough some opposed it. The two-kids-enough model destroys nations. What would happen in fifty years? The same thing that happened in Europe would befall us," he said.
In 1993, Iran introduced population-control policies in response to the baby boom that followed the 1979 Islamic revolution, when Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini urged Iranians to have more kids.
Since then, the annual population growth rate has dipped to about 1.6 percent from 3.2 percent in the early 1980s, earning the country a United Nations award for the effectiveness of its programme.
Ahmadinejad insists Iran could comfortably more than double its population to 150 million people from the current estimate of 74 million, and yesterday called for pursuing an "Iranian-Islamic model" of development.
"With this model we can conquer the whole world," he said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India