Homosexuality is like rape, Polish nurses taught
London: Homosexuality is similar to rape and prostitution, says an official teaching guide for Polish students of nursing and midwifery.
The teaching books refer to homosexuality as a "pathology". The subject often comes under the section of "sexual problems" where students are instructed on "how to identify and provide assistance in situations of sexual assault and sexual disorders", according to the Telegraph.
A 2011 exam paper on gynaecology has a multiple choice question that reads: "Homosexuals are particularly dangerous socially and seduce individuals by ..."
Students are then given a number of options including "abnormal sexual drive" and "prostitution".
The curriculum content has been condemned by rights campaigners in Poland, where conservative attitude towards homosexuality still hold sway among the population.
"This is a particularly dangerous incident of homophobia," said Agata Chaber, president of the Campaign Against Homophobia.
"Official information in course curriculum is regarded as reliable and verified, and therefore very few people will question it," she said.
The material has gone unchallenged for around 10 years despite reviews by leading Polish medical scientists.
Agnieszka Kozlowska-Rajewicz, the Polish government`s authority for equal treatment, described the nursing course content as "unacceptable". She has written to the health ministry calling for an "immediate cease" to its teaching.
The health ministry has said it will initiate a review of the teaching material with the aim of bringing it up to date.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference