Homosexuality is like rape, Polish nurses taught
London: Homosexuality is similar to rape and prostitution, says an official teaching guide for Polish students of nursing and midwifery.
The teaching books refer to homosexuality as a "pathology". The subject often comes under the section of "sexual problems" where students are instructed on "how to identify and provide assistance in situations of sexual assault and sexual disorders", according to the Telegraph.
A 2011 exam paper on gynaecology has a multiple choice question that reads: "Homosexuals are particularly dangerous socially and seduce individuals by ..."
Students are then given a number of options including "abnormal sexual drive" and "prostitution".
The curriculum content has been condemned by rights campaigners in Poland, where conservative attitude towards homosexuality still hold sway among the population.
"This is a particularly dangerous incident of homophobia," said Agata Chaber, president of the Campaign Against Homophobia.
"Official information in course curriculum is regarded as reliable and verified, and therefore very few people will question it," she said.
The material has gone unchallenged for around 10 years despite reviews by leading Polish medical scientists.
Agnieszka Kozlowska-Rajewicz, the Polish government`s authority for equal treatment, described the nursing course content as "unacceptable". She has written to the health ministry calling for an "immediate cease" to its teaching.
The health ministry has said it will initiate a review of the teaching material with the aim of bringing it up to date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened