Honduras prohibits visit of crisis negotiators
Tegucigalpa: Honduras` interim government
announced on Sunday that it was cancelling a visit by foreign
delegates aimed at resolving the country`s political crisis
because it could not accept the participation of a regional
official who insists on reinstating the ousted President.
Interim President Roberto Micheletti is willing to
reschedule the delegation`s visit, previously planned for
Tuesday -- as long as Organization of American States chief
Jose Miguel Insulza is excluded, the Foreign Ministry said in
The Washington-based OAS, a long-established
hemispheric body promoting democracy, development and legal
cooperation in the Americas, on Friday named the delegation
comprising foreign ministers from Argentina, Canada, Costa
Rica, Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
The group`s mission was to try to persuade Micheletti
to negotiate with international mediators seeking to return
President Manuel Zelaya, who was ousted in a coup on June 28.
But in addition to insisting that he accompany the
delegation, Insulza failed to include foreign ministers who
might be open to "reconsidering our position," the statement
said, which "has made it impossible to hold the visit" now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal along with a likely 10-member cabinet to take oath today
- Know how long Sonu Nigam sang on the streets for the ‘beggar’ video
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- Louis van Gaal axed by Manchester United as Jose Mourinho waits in wings
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today