Honduras prohibits visit of crisis negotiators

Last Updated: Sunday, August 9, 2009 - 22:52

Tegucigalpa: Honduras` interim government
announced on Sunday that it was cancelling a visit by foreign
delegates aimed at resolving the country`s political crisis
because it could not accept the participation of a regional
official who insists on reinstating the ousted President.

Interim President Roberto Micheletti is willing to
reschedule the delegation`s visit, previously planned for
Tuesday -- as long as Organization of American States chief
Jose Miguel Insulza is excluded, the Foreign Ministry said in
a statement.

The Washington-based OAS, a long-established
hemispheric body promoting democracy, development and legal
cooperation in the Americas, on Friday named the delegation
comprising foreign ministers from Argentina, Canada, Costa
Rica, Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

The group`s mission was to try to persuade Micheletti
to negotiate with international mediators seeking to return
President Manuel Zelaya, who was ousted in a coup on June 28.

But in addition to insisting that he accompany the
delegation, Insulza failed to include foreign ministers who
might be open to "reconsidering our position," the statement
said, which "has made it impossible to hold the visit" now.

Bureau Report



First Published: Sunday, August 9, 2009 - 22:52

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus