Honeymoon murder: Anni’s family `wants the truth`
London: Murdered British-Indian honeymooner Anni Dewani`s family has demanded the truth after her husband Shrien won an appeal against his extradition to South Africa.
“It would be oppressive to send him back, if his health is not good, but we are happy as a family to hear that the court has decided that it is in the interests of justice that he will go back to South Africa. The court has rejected his appeal on human rights,” The Daily Mail quoted Anni`s elder sister, Ami Denborg, as saying.
Her statement came after the High Court ruled it would be ``unjust and oppressive`` to extradite Dewani, 32, until his mental health improved.
Meanwhile, Shrien’s family expressed relief at the judgement.
“The Dewani family are grateful that the High Court has upheld the appeal and blocked any attempt to extradite Shrien to South Africa now. Shrien is innocent and is determined to return to South Africa to clear his name and seek justice for his wife Anni,” shrein’s family said.
Shrien’s lawyer, Clare Montgomery, argued he was so ill that he would be incapable of giving instructions to his lawyers, or following trial proceedings, and extradition should be delayed until he had recovered.
Anni Dewani, 28, was shot when a taxi in which the couple were travelling was hijacked in the Gugulethu township on the outskirts of Cape Town.
She was found dead in the back of the abandoned vehicle with a bullet wound to her neck.
Taxi driver Zola Tongo, who has admitted his part in the crime, claimed in a plea agreement with prosecutors that Dewani ordered the carjacking and paid for a hit on his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea