Hong Kong holds by-elections in test for democracy camp
Hong Kong: Hong Kong on Sunday held by-elections
triggered by pro-democracy lawmakers seeking to pressure
Beijing into speeding up the pace of electoral reform in the
The election, which has angered Beijing and divided the
city`s democracy movement, comes after five lawmakers from the
Legislative Council quit in January in a bid to force a de
facto referendum on reform.
Frustrated by what they say is China`s intransigence, the
lawmakers had hoped that the move -- which will likely see
them all re-elected -- would send the strongest message yet to
Beijing since Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
However, the outcome of the vote is seen as academic
since all pro-Beijing political parties have boycotted the
Under the current electoral system, only half of Hong
Kong`s 60-seat legislature is directly elected while the rest
is selected by the pro-China business elite. Campaigners want
the entire parliament to be directly elected.
They also want voters to be able to choose the city`s
chief executive, who is currently appointed by a
Beijing-friendly election committee.
Beijing has said that, at the earliest, Hong Kong`s chief
executive can be directly elected by 2017 and the legislature
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing