Hong Kong protests China patriotism classes
Hong Kong: Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Hong Kong to protest the upcoming introduction in schools of Chinese patriotism classes that they fear will lead to brainwashing.
Teachers, parents, students and pro-democracy activists marched on Sunday to the government headquarters of the semiautonomous territory to protest against the new curriculum, which authorities are encouraging schools to begin using when classes resume in September.
They fear the classes will be used to brainwash children into supporting China`s Communist Party. The government has denied that and says they are aimed at building Chinese national pride.
It`s the latest sign of growing fears in Hong Kong over China`s increasing influence 15 years after Britain returned the freewheeling financial centre to China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city