Hong Kong protests China patriotism classes
Hong Kong: Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Hong Kong to protest the upcoming introduction in schools of Chinese patriotism classes that they fear will lead to brainwashing.
Teachers, parents, students and pro-democracy activists marched on Sunday to the government headquarters of the semiautonomous territory to protest against the new curriculum, which authorities are encouraging schools to begin using when classes resume in September.
They fear the classes will be used to brainwash children into supporting China`s Communist Party. The government has denied that and says they are aimed at building Chinese national pride.
It`s the latest sign of growing fears in Hong Kong over China`s increasing influence 15 years after Britain returned the freewheeling financial centre to China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened