Hong Kong protests China patriotism classes
Hong Kong: Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Hong Kong to protest the upcoming introduction in schools of Chinese patriotism classes that they fear will lead to brainwashing.
Teachers, parents, students and pro-democracy activists marched on Sunday to the government headquarters of the semiautonomous territory to protest against the new curriculum, which authorities are encouraging schools to begin using when classes resume in September.
They fear the classes will be used to brainwash children into supporting China`s Communist Party. The government has denied that and says they are aimed at building Chinese national pride.
It`s the latest sign of growing fears in Hong Kong over China`s increasing influence 15 years after Britain returned the freewheeling financial centre to China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BRICS Employment Working Group to meet on July 27-28
- Dozens injured in fresh protests as police foil separatist march in Kashmir
- Cristiano Ronaldo meets Conor McGregor in the ring – See what happened next!
- Rahguram Rajan's continuance would have benefited India: Subbarao
- Central Government plays waiting game as Wrestling Federation backs dope-tainted Narsingh Yadav