Hong Kong protests China patriotism classes
Hong Kong: Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Hong Kong to protest the upcoming introduction in schools of Chinese patriotism classes that they fear will lead to brainwashing.
Teachers, parents, students and pro-democracy activists marched on Sunday to the government headquarters of the semiautonomous territory to protest against the new curriculum, which authorities are encouraging schools to begin using when classes resume in September.
They fear the classes will be used to brainwash children into supporting China`s Communist Party. The government has denied that and says they are aimed at building Chinese national pride.
It`s the latest sign of growing fears in Hong Kong over China`s increasing influence 15 years after Britain returned the freewheeling financial centre to China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday