Hong Kong: `Red Monkey` stamps fetch record price
Hong Kong: A highly sought-after rare set of
"Red Monkey" stamps to celebrate the 1980 Year of the Monkey
was sold for a record $184,000 at a Hong Kong auction Sunday,
the organiser said.
The stamps were originally expected to fetch HK$1.1
million-1.2 million (USD141, 000-154,000) but they were bought
by an Asian collector for HK$1.44 million when the hammer
fell, auction house Zurich Asia said.
The auctioneer said the sale broke a previous world record
when a similar set of the stamps was sold for HK$1.2 million
in the southern Chinese city, a major auction hub thanks to
cash-rich mainland Chinese buyers.
Mainland Chinese are regular buyers of the top lots at
sales of art, jewellery and wine as Hong Kong positions itself
as an auction hub for Asia as well as the gateway to China`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?