Hong Kong stages march over Manila hostage tragedy
Hong Kong: Thousands of people joined a
rally in Hong Kong today to demand justice for victims of the
Manila hostage bloodbath, as the city`s Filipino community
staged its own memorials for the dead.
Demonstrators voiced their anger over the Philippine
government`s handling of the siege in the heart of Manila on
Monday, which left eight Hong Kong tourists dead amid
widespread complaints of police bungling.
"It`s too late for the governments to do anything, but
Hong Kong people hope that, at the very least, the Philippine
authorities could tell us the truth," Daisy Kwong, a telecoms
firm project manager, told AFP.
"I cried for hours after watching the tragedy played out
live on TV," she said.
The sea of demonstrators observed three minutes of
silence as they gathered in a Hong Kong park, many wearing
yellow ribbons and carrying white flowers, the traditional
Chinese colour of mourning.
The Hong Kong political parties organising the rally, the
latest in a series of events marking Monday`s tragedy, said it
could draw as many as 50,000 people.
"I am furious," 56-year-old Law Wai-hing said. "I don`t
think we will ever be told the truth when the (Philippine)
president (Benigno Aquino) is as appalling as he is.
"I hope the Chinese government and the United Nations can
exert pressure on the Philippine government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video