Hong Kong stages march over Manila hostage tragedy
Hong Kong: Thousands of people joined a
rally in Hong Kong today to demand justice for victims of the
Manila hostage bloodbath, as the city`s Filipino community
staged its own memorials for the dead.
Demonstrators voiced their anger over the Philippine
government`s handling of the siege in the heart of Manila on
Monday, which left eight Hong Kong tourists dead amid
widespread complaints of police bungling.
"It`s too late for the governments to do anything, but
Hong Kong people hope that, at the very least, the Philippine
authorities could tell us the truth," Daisy Kwong, a telecoms
firm project manager, told AFP.
"I cried for hours after watching the tragedy played out
live on TV," she said.
The sea of demonstrators observed three minutes of
silence as they gathered in a Hong Kong park, many wearing
yellow ribbons and carrying white flowers, the traditional
Chinese colour of mourning.
The Hong Kong political parties organising the rally, the
latest in a series of events marking Monday`s tragedy, said it
could draw as many as 50,000 people.
"I am furious," 56-year-old Law Wai-hing said. "I don`t
think we will ever be told the truth when the (Philippine)
president (Benigno Aquino) is as appalling as he is.
"I hope the Chinese government and the United Nations can
exert pressure on the Philippine government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands