Horsemeat found in Europe’s supermarkets ‘could have been donkeys’
London: A law banning horses from Romanian roads could have led to the surge in the illegal sale of horse meat on the European beef market, a French politician has said.
he law, which was passed six years ago but was enforced recently, also banned carts drawn by donkeys, which led to speculation among food-industry officials in France that some of the ‘horse meat’ which came to supermarkets in Britain, France and Sweden may, in fact, was donkey meat.
Jose Bove, a veteran campaigner for small farmers who is now vice-president of the European Parliament agriculture committee, said that horses have been banned from Romanian roads and millions of animals have been sent to the slaughterhouse.
According to the Independent, after a couple of days in which the horse meat affair was seen as a largely British problem, the scandal was taken seriously by French politicians and newspapers over the weekend.
The French consumer minister, Benoît Hamon, said that he would not hesitate to take legal action if evidence emerged that the two French companies which handled the meat had been aware of the fraud.
Hamon also took a swipe at the British Government, and said that that London was complaining about weak European food inspection while cutting the budget for EU food-safety checks in Brussels, the report said.
His warning came as France’s biggest supermarket chains removed more of their own-label and Findus processed dishes from their shelves, it added.
Hamon said that preliminary investigation by the French agency that combats consumer fraud had uncovered the Byzantine route taken by the ‘fake’ beef.
According to the report, it came from abattoirs in Romania through a dealer in Cyprus working through another dealer in Holland to a meat plant in the south of France which sold it to a French-owned factory in Luxembourg which made it into frozen meals sold in supermarkets in 16 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM