Horsemeat scandal spreads to Germany
Berlin: The scandal of horsemeat in frozen products has evidently spread to Germany after the supermarket chain Real announced Wednesday that it has discovered horsemeat in falsely-labeled frozen lasagna.
Real said that it has removed the product from shelves for precaution since Friday and there is no indication that the product poses a health risk to consumers, reported Xinhua.
The Consumer Protection Ministry in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) said that a Luxembourg distributor has been delivering products of Comigel, the French food company at the centre of the horsemeat scandal, on a large scale across Germany in the past three months.
The deliveries are suspected of a labeling offence and may contain horsemeat, NRW Consumer Protection Minister Johannes Remmel said.
According to German news magazine Der Spiegel, other German retailers Tengelmann, Edeka, Eismann, Markant und Rewe Dortmund have also been delivered by Comigel or its subsidiary Tavola in Luxembourg.
The European Commission has called on certain member states of the European Union involved in recent horsemeat scandal to step up investigations and restore consumers` confidence.
In the last few days, the scandal erupted across Europe after horsemeat was found in such food products as burgers and lasagnas while being fraudulently labeled as beef.
According to EU legislation, horsemeat can be used for meat products, on the condition that it has to be declared on the label, in addition to the fact that member states should be responsible for the proper enforcement of EU rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city