Hosni Mubarak retrial to open on April 13
Cairo: Hosni Mubarak, serving a life-term for his role in the killing of Egyptian protesters during the revolution that toppled his nearly three decade-long dictatorial regime, will face a retrial from April 13.
The Court of Appeal, headed by Judge Samir Abul-Moaty, announced the trial date on Sunday. In January, a court had accepted retrial appeals by 84-year-old ex-Egyptian President, his interior minister Habib al-Adly and the prosecution, cancelling all previous rulings by the Cairo criminal court.
Appeals Court set April 13 as the first session of the re-trial of Mubarak, his two sons Gamal and Alaa, Adly, his six security aides and fugitive businessman Hussein Salem over involvement in killing peaceful protesters during the revolution.
Mubarak, his sons and runaway businessman Salem will also be retried over charges of financial corruption, misusing their powers and exporting Egyptian gas to Israel, state-run MENA news agency reported.
All defendants will stand trial at the 10th circuit of Cairo Criminal Court under Counsellor Moustafa Hassan Abdullah.
There have been leaks that Mubarak`s attorney has been documenting the cases of killing of protesters during the rule of President Muhammed Mursi to use it as an excuse and snatch a non-guilty verdict for former dictator.
On June 2, 2012, Mubarak and Adly were sentenced to life in prison for failing to prevent the deaths of more than 800 protesters during the 18-day uprising that began on January 25, 2011.
The rulings had sparked nationwide outrage, with thousands taking to the streets to vent their anger as no one had been directly found guilty of killing the protesters.
Business tycoon Salem has been negotiating handing over half of his fortune to the government in return for acquittal.
Mubarak`s sons, Gamal and Alaa, once the symbols of power and wealth in the country, were acquitted on corruption charges due to the expiry of a statute of limitations.
An ailing Mubarak is currently being held in jail on other charges of graft and corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters