Hosni Mubarak`s appeal rejected, to stay in prison
Cairo: The Cairo Criminal Court on Sunday refused an appeal by former president Hosni Mubarak and decided to keep him in prison pending investigations in a case related to illicit gains, state media reported.
The appeal was submitted against the April 24 decision by the illicit gains authority to renew Mubarak`s detention for 15 more days over making illicit gains using his power, Xinhua cited Nile TV as saying.
The court`s decision came after the authority sent a judicial commission to Tora prison and interrogated the ex-president for about five hours over graft and illicit gains charges.
On April 20, the Court of Appeals decided to temporarily release Mubarak in the case, but still ordered to keep him in custody in other cases.
Mubarak was sentenced to life imprisonment in June 2012 over his involvement in the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising. He later appealed the verdict, and in January, the Court of Cassation accepted the appeals of Mubarak and his interior minister Habib al-Adli and ordered their retrial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA