Hostage-taker shot dead in China
Guangzhou: Police in South China`s Guangdong province shot and killed a man who took a child hostage on Saturday morning.
The incident happened when a knife-wielding man allegedly took a girl hostage in the Huadu district of Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong, according to the city`s Public Security Bureau, state-run news agency Xinhua reported.
Police said the man demanded to be taken via police vehicle to an area near the Guangzhou railway station. Police shot the man after he was spotted assaulting the girl with a knife.
The injured girl was rescued and is undergoing an operation at a local hospital. An investigation into the incident is under way.
The incident was the second instance of hostage-taking to occur in China this summer. On July 19, police shot and killed a man who took a female security officer hostage at a subway station in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS
- Facebook to give more prominence to family and friends, not media
- PM Modi asks babus for effective redressal of consumer grievances
- PM Modi meets Amit Shah and Arun Jaitley, discusses key issues
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic wins 30th consecutive Grand Slam match, Roger Federer ends Marcus Willis' fairytale