Hot-air balloon festival in France sets two new records
Metz (France): A massive gathering of hot-air balloon enthusiasts in north-eastern France has set two world records, filling the sky with 408 of the colourful craft at one time and lining up 391 of them for takeoff.
But organisers of the Lorraine Mondial Air Balloons festival near the city of Metz, which drew upwards of 3,50,000 people, lamented capricious weather conditions and bad behaviour by some of the participants.
"In 25 years it`s the year with the fewest flights (because of) very uncertain weather, too much wind some evenings as well as storms," founder Philippe Buron Pilatre told.
Fewer than half of the 19 mass flights planned over the 10 days of the festival could be held, he said.
Pilatre also regretted "forms of incivility" among some participants, notably around 20 pilots who deliberately landed their balloons on cropland instead of on roads and lanes, drawing the ire of local farmers.
A total of 1,207 pilots, nearly 2,000 crew and 983 hot-air balloons took part in the festival, which ended today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!