Hot-air balloon festival in France sets two new records
Metz (France): A massive gathering of hot-air balloon enthusiasts in north-eastern France has set two world records, filling the sky with 408 of the colourful craft at one time and lining up 391 of them for takeoff.
But organisers of the Lorraine Mondial Air Balloons festival near the city of Metz, which drew upwards of 3,50,000 people, lamented capricious weather conditions and bad behaviour by some of the participants.
"In 25 years it`s the year with the fewest flights (because of) very uncertain weather, too much wind some evenings as well as storms," founder Philippe Buron Pilatre told.
Fewer than half of the 19 mass flights planned over the 10 days of the festival could be held, he said.
Pilatre also regretted "forms of incivility" among some participants, notably around 20 pilots who deliberately landed their balloons on cropland instead of on roads and lanes, drawing the ire of local farmers.
A total of 1,207 pilots, nearly 2,000 crew and 983 hot-air balloons took part in the festival, which ended today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says