Hot-air balloon festival in France sets two new records
Metz (France): A massive gathering of hot-air balloon enthusiasts in north-eastern France has set two world records, filling the sky with 408 of the colourful craft at one time and lining up 391 of them for takeoff.
But organisers of the Lorraine Mondial Air Balloons festival near the city of Metz, which drew upwards of 3,50,000 people, lamented capricious weather conditions and bad behaviour by some of the participants.
"In 25 years it`s the year with the fewest flights (because of) very uncertain weather, too much wind some evenings as well as storms," founder Philippe Buron Pilatre told.
Fewer than half of the 19 mass flights planned over the 10 days of the festival could be held, he said.
Pilatre also regretted "forms of incivility" among some participants, notably around 20 pilots who deliberately landed their balloons on cropland instead of on roads and lanes, drawing the ire of local farmers.
A total of 1,207 pilots, nearly 2,000 crew and 983 hot-air balloons took part in the festival, which ended today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Trump vows to begin deportations immediately if sworn in
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio