Houla massacre: US expels top Syria diplomat
Washington: The US on Tuesday expelled Syria`s top diplomat in Washington, joining a host of western nations including Britain and Germany who have taken similar steps against the country following last week`s Houla killings.
"In response to the May 25 massacre in the village of Houla, on Tuesday the United States informed the Syrian Charge d`Affaires Zuheir Jabbour of his expulsion from the United States," the State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland said.
The Syrian diplomat has 72 hours to leave the country, she said adding that the US took this action in coordination with partner countries including Australia, Canada, Spain, the United Kingdom, Italy, France, and Germany.
"United Nations observers confirmed the deaths of more than 90 people, including at least 30 children under the age of 10, after the vicious assault involving tanks and artillery ?-weapons that only the regime possesses. There are also reports that many families were summarily executed in their homes by regime forces," Nuland said.
Holding the Syrian government responsible for this "slaughter of innocent lives", Nuland said this massacre is "the most unambiguous indictment" to date of the Syrian government`s flagrant violations of its UN Security Council obligations under Resolutions 2042 and 2043 along with the regime`s ongoing threat to peace and security.
The United States, Nuland said encourage all countries to condemn the actions of the Asad regime through similar action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8