House warns Kerry he could be 1/16,000th poorer
Washington: Republican lawmakers are threatening to withhold salary representing less than one-sixteen thousandth of multimillionaire Secretary of State John Kerry`s net worth.
The Senate Appropriations Committee`s measure demands Kerry`s agency implement recommendations of a US investigator for Afghan reconstruction. If the State Department doesn`t report progress, he loses a quarter of his salary for three months next year.
The conditions also apply to the US Special envoy to Afghanistan.
For Kerry, whose assets totaled at least USD 184 million according to a 2011 Senate disclosure, it hardly matters. His wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is reportedly worth more than USD 1 billion.
And the family made more money when billionaire Warren Buffett bought out ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co. Earlier this year.
Still, some Democrats opposed the amendment to next year`s foreign operations bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister