House warns Kerry he could be 1/16,000th poorer
Washington: Republican lawmakers are threatening to withhold salary representing less than one-sixteen thousandth of multimillionaire Secretary of State John Kerry`s net worth.
The Senate Appropriations Committee`s measure demands Kerry`s agency implement recommendations of a US investigator for Afghan reconstruction. If the State Department doesn`t report progress, he loses a quarter of his salary for three months next year.
The conditions also apply to the US Special envoy to Afghanistan.
For Kerry, whose assets totaled at least USD 184 million according to a 2011 Senate disclosure, it hardly matters. His wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is reportedly worth more than USD 1 billion.
And the family made more money when billionaire Warren Buffett bought out ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co. Earlier this year.
Still, some Democrats opposed the amendment to next year`s foreign operations bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US