Houses evacuated in UK anti-terror raids
London: Houses were evacuated as a precautionary measure on Wednesday in England`s Greater Manchester area after police found `suspicious substances` in a residence, official sources said.
A 38-year-old man from Horwich arrested on suspicion of possession of indecent images was also arrested on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act 2000, specifically possessing information likely to be useful for a person committing or preparing for acts of terrorism and offences under the Explosives Act.
The raids were supported by officers from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, the police said.
Officers found some suspicious substances in the property on Cheriton Gardens and around six flats have been evacuated as a precaution while the substances are examined.
A cordon is currently in place and residents and motorists are being advised to avoid the area while emergency services deal with the scene.
Superintendent Steve Nibloe, based at Bolton, said: "We are in the very early stages of this incident and I want to reassure residents that we have no evidence yet that anyone has been in any danger. The measures taken are merely a precaution".
He added: "However, we have discovered some suspicious substances in the house on Cheriton Gardens and we are in the process of having them examined.
As a result we have asked a number of households to leave the immediate area to ensure they are a safe distance away from the property".
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- IMF sees emerging market innovations as 'crankiness' of Governor: Raghuram Rajan
- Strengthen ties with India to counter China, Obama administration told
- Burkina bans officials from accepting gifts over $60
- Controversy in the making: Centre asks Urdu writers not to write anti-national content
- Iran starts voting in parliament election run-offs