Houses toppled as 4.9-quake hits southwest China: Govt
Beijing: A moderate earthquake hit southwest China on Monday, injuring 28 people, toppling more than 1,000 houses, and killing hundreds of livestock, local authorities reported.
The 4.9-magnitude quake hit Yunnan province early this morning not far from popular tourist destination Dali, striking at a depth of 35 kilometres (22 miles), the US Geological Survey said on its website.
Nearly 300,000 people were affected by the tremor, but no deaths were immediately reported, an official at the Dali civil affairs bureau surnamed Zhao said.
Zhao said more than 400 livestock, including sheep, chicken and pigs, had been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal