Houston police beat, injured diplomat: China
Dallas: Three Houston police officers have been restricted to desk duty after they followed a Chinese diplomat into the parking garage of the Chinese Consulate, arrested the man and injured him, the Houston mayor said.
Mayor Annise Parker said in a statement that the officers` duties will remain limited pending an investigation into how Chinese diplomat Yu Boren was injured last Saturday.
Officials in China`s Foreign Ministry released a statement on Friday saying police harassed and beat a deputy consul-general while he was driving to the consulate. The statement said a family member also was involved, but did not say if that person was injured.
Houston police and the US State Department are investigating the incident.
"China urges the US ... to quickly investigate the details of this incident and to look into the persons responsible to ensure that the Chinese diplomatic and consulate personnel and premises are not violated," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said in a statement.
"The Chinese Foreign Ministry, the Chinese embassy and the Houston consulate have already made solemn exchanges with the US side."
Under international practice, the premises of foreign embassies and consulates are outside the jurisdiction of local law enforcement, and diplomats have legal immunity.
Houston police tried to stop a car that was missing a license plate, CBS News reported. When the car didn`t stop, they pursued it into a garage. Police handcuffed and arrested the driver, injuring him, the report said. CBS News identified the official as Ben Ren Yu. The Houston consulate website lists a deputy consul-general, Yu Boren.
The officers said they were unaware they had pursued the diplomat into the Chinese Consulate`s parking garage, Parker said.
The US State Department was taking the matter very seriously and the findings of the investigation will be shared with China "as soon as appropriate”, said Susan Stevenson, spokeswoman for the US embassy in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister