How did Hitler die?
London: A top Russian KGB official has claimed that Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader, did not commit suicide by shooting himself with a gun, but poisoned himself with cyanide.
Lieutenant-General Vasily Khristoforov, the top archivist for Russia`s FSB security service, said Soviet military medics at the time had determined that Hitler and his mistress Eva Braun had died after ingesting cyanide on April 30, 1945.
"The presence of the remains of crushed glass capsules in the mouth and the sharp odour of bitter almonds from the corpses, and the results of an internal post-mortem led the (Soviet) commission to conclude that it was death by cyanide poisoning.”
"Thus the myth put about by those Nazis left in Berlin that `the Fuhrer died like a soldier having shot himself in his bunker` was shattered," The Telegraph quoted him as saying.
According to Soviet medics there weren’t any serious wounds on Hitler`s heavily burned body either, he added.
If accurate, the officer’s claim not only busts the widely held myth of Hitler’s ‘honourable death’, but also casts a shadow on the authenticity of a skull fragment kept in Russia`s state archive that purportedly belonged to Hitler.
The fragment has a bullet hole in it yet but American researchers claim that it belonged to a woman aged from 20 to 40 and could not be Hitler`s.
The Russians have defended the skull`s authenticity but haven’t been able to refute this claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read