How did Hitler die?
London: A top Russian KGB official has claimed that Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader, did not commit suicide by shooting himself with a gun, but poisoned himself with cyanide.
Lieutenant-General Vasily Khristoforov, the top archivist for Russia`s FSB security service, said Soviet military medics at the time had determined that Hitler and his mistress Eva Braun had died after ingesting cyanide on April 30, 1945.
"The presence of the remains of crushed glass capsules in the mouth and the sharp odour of bitter almonds from the corpses, and the results of an internal post-mortem led the (Soviet) commission to conclude that it was death by cyanide poisoning.”
"Thus the myth put about by those Nazis left in Berlin that `the Fuhrer died like a soldier having shot himself in his bunker` was shattered," The Telegraph quoted him as saying.
According to Soviet medics there weren’t any serious wounds on Hitler`s heavily burned body either, he added.
If accurate, the officer’s claim not only busts the widely held myth of Hitler’s ‘honourable death’, but also casts a shadow on the authenticity of a skull fragment kept in Russia`s state archive that purportedly belonged to Hitler.
The fragment has a bullet hole in it yet but American researchers claim that it belonged to a woman aged from 20 to 40 and could not be Hitler`s.
The Russians have defended the skull`s authenticity but haven’t been able to refute this claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister