`How Hitler would have invaded America’
London: Experts had predicted that Hitler might try to invade the US from the East Coast with the help of his allies, according to a 1942 issue of a magazine.
After the Luftwaffe launched a devastating attack on the British fleet, Hitler’s ships race across the Atlantic and with the help of 5th columnists invade America.
This is just one of the nightmare scenarios imagined by the Life magazine in 1942 when the threat of a Nazi invasion seemed all too real, reports the Daily Mail.
Created in the months after Pearl Harbour, the March 02 issue featured a series of maps showing how experts predicted German might try to annex the US.
The maps show detailed plans of how the Nazis could work with their allies to take over America.
One scenario imagined by the magazine sees the Germans invade the US from the East Coast. But first, they would have needed to take out the British fleet, rescue captured Vichy France and Italian fleets, and have help from 5th columnists in the US.
According to these plans, the Nazis would launch an assault on Norfolk, Virginia. First, the Germans would rendezvous with the ‘Jap fleet’ via the Azores, Madeira and Canaries
Its purpose was to serve as a warning to readers that America was no longer just an observer of the Second World War.
The varied diagrams show different options, which would have been available to the Germans from invasion across the Atlantic to the East Coast to the imagined bombing of the Panama Canal before launching at attack via Japan from the West.
The maps were created by Life as a follow-up to an article by science fiction author Philip Wylie, who had written a controversial article imagining an American defeat in the war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people