Howard praises Abbott for "destroying" Labour govt in Oz
Melbourne: Conservative Tony Abbott has
"restored" the Liberal Party and potentially "destroyed" a
first term Labor government, former premier John Howard said
today as opposition coalition appeared to be charging past the
ruling party of Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
"And his (Abott) performance in this campaign...and
it`s not for me to make any declarations or predictions at
this stage, but it`s clear that he has undermined and
potentially destroyed a first term Labor Government and that
is a tremendous achievement, and I am very proud of him.
And I know millions of Liberals around the country are
very proud of him," Howard was quoted as saying by Hearld Sun.
Howard said it`s not his place to give a prediction,
but claims Abbott has brought the Liberal Party back from the
dead. Meanwhile, counting would continue in a nail-biting
election finish which many predict will end in a hung
Australian Electoral Commission said 85 per cent of
the total vote in ordinary ballots were expected to be counted
Spokesman Phil Diak said counting will finish at
midnight (AEST), but because of the time difference in Western
Australia (WA) information will continue to be put into the
system until 2am (AEST). Counting will resume tomorrow,
according the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai