Howard praises Abbott for "destroying" Labour govt in Oz
Melbourne: Conservative Tony Abbott has
"restored" the Liberal Party and potentially "destroyed" a
first term Labor government, former premier John Howard said
today as opposition coalition appeared to be charging past the
ruling party of Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
"And his (Abott) performance in this campaign...and
it`s not for me to make any declarations or predictions at
this stage, but it`s clear that he has undermined and
potentially destroyed a first term Labor Government and that
is a tremendous achievement, and I am very proud of him.
And I know millions of Liberals around the country are
very proud of him," Howard was quoted as saying by Hearld Sun.
Howard said it`s not his place to give a prediction,
but claims Abbott has brought the Liberal Party back from the
dead. Meanwhile, counting would continue in a nail-biting
election finish which many predict will end in a hung
Australian Electoral Commission said 85 per cent of
the total vote in ordinary ballots were expected to be counted
Spokesman Phil Diak said counting will finish at
midnight (AEST), but because of the time difference in Western
Australia (WA) information will continue to be put into the
system until 2am (AEST). Counting will resume tomorrow,
according the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Sachin Tendulkar fans fume after Kumar Sangakkara omits 'God of Cricket' from all-time XI
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh