HRW calls for release of jailed Saudi woman driver
Jeddah: Saudi Arabia should "immediately"
release a woman jailed for breaking the kingdom`s ban on women
driving, Human Rights Watch said in a statement that also
criticised the ban itself.
"King Abdullah should immediately order the release of
Manal al-Sharif, who was arrested ... after she defied the
kingdom`s de facto ban on driving by women," New York-based
HRW said in a statement today, referring to the Saudi monarch.
"Arresting a woman who drove her family around in a
car and then showed it online opens Saudi Arabia to
condemnation -- and, in fact, to mockery -- around the world,"
HRW senior Middle East researcher Christoph Wilcke said in the
"King Abdullah should end Saudi Arabia`s pariah status
in the world as the sole country banning women from driving,"
"Just as his predecessors made their mark by
introducing education for girls, King Abdullah can shape his
legacy by opening the roads to women drivers."
Manal al-Sharif was arrested on Saturday while driving
in the Eastern Province city of Al-Khobar, a day after she
posted a footage on the video-sharing website YouTube showing
her behind the wheel.
Although traffic police released her after a few
hours, the 32-year-old computer security consultant was later
re-apprehended from her home by criminal investigation police,
her lawyer Adnan al-Saleh said.
"She has been charged with spurring women to drive, on
the Internet, and inciting public opinion," he told AFP by
telephone on Monday, after meeting Sharif in prison.
He said police ordered her to remain in custody for
five days pending further investigations.
In addition to not being allowed to drive, women in
Saudi Arabia are banned from travelling without authorisation
from a male guardian. They are also obliged to cover from head
to toe when in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand