Hu Jintao arrives in US for state visit
Washington: The Chinese President Hu Jintao was accorded a red carpet welcome by the US after he arrived on a four-day state visit, even as lawmakers introduced a legislation against yuan manipulation.
The US Vice President Joe Biden was himself present at
the Andrews Air Force Base to greet the Chinese President last
evening, reflecting the high priority the Obama Administration
attaches to its relationship with China.
"I look forward to having in-depth discussions with
President (Barack) Obama on China-US relations and major
international and regional issues of shared interest," Hu said
in a statement after his arrival.
The Chinese leader said the purpose of his visit is to
enhance mutual trust, promote friendship, deepen cooperation
and move forward the positive, cooperative and comprehensive
Sino-US relationship for the 21st century.
While, the official welcome ceremony is scheduled at
the White House this morning, within hours of his arrival, the
Chinese President with a small group of close aides drove down
to the White House for a private dinner hosted by the US
President Barack Obama.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and National
Security Advisor Tom Donilon were among the few attending the
private dinner hosted by Obama to which officials said it
would set the tone for today`s formal meeting at the Oval
Office and the one of the Cabinet-level meeting.
Today, Obama will host Hu to the state dinner at the
White House -- the first for a Chinese leader in 13 years.
This would be Obama`s third state dinner. The first one was
that of the Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on November
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?