Huge blast rocks Syria’s Damascus, 31 dead
Damascus: At least 31 people were killed and 208 wounded Thursday when a suicide bomber blew up a car packed with explosives at a busy intersection close to the ruling al-Baath Party headquarters in capital Damascus, the state media reported.
The blast rocked a crowded intersection, the state-media and witnesses said.
The state-TV aired footage of the blast site, showing images of destruction and carnage, reported Xinhua.
Charred bodies were also seen scattered on burnt concrete as firefighters and paramedics worked feverishly to help the injured to hospitals.
After the blast, the authorities arrested another would-be suicide bomber who was driving a car rigged with explosives in the same area.
The explosion was felt nearly two km around the area, shattering glass in nearby buildings and sending ominous smoke plume above the city center.
The blast was also followed with heavy gunfire as the authorities cordoned off the area and closed main routes to central Damascus.
Blasts and mortar attacks have become increasingly common in Syria as the rebels scaled up their attacks to wobble the regime`s grip on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Theresa May: Will she prove to be the second Iron Lady UK needs after Brexit?
- Political parties slam CM Mufti's 'wasn't aware of Burhan's whereabouts' remarks
- Nathan Lyon joins Muttiah Muralitharan and Harbhajan Singh in the 200-test-wicket club
- Lawless UP: Dalit couple hacked to death for Rs 15 in Mulayam Singh Yadav's bastion Mainpuri
- GST Bill: Efforts to hammer out consensus gathers momentum, likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha next week