Huge fire breaks out at Myanmar`s main market
Yangon: A huge fire broke out at the main market in Myanmar`s biggest city Yangon on Monday destroying hundreds of shops, but no victims were reported, shop owners and officials said.
"We do not know the reason yet. Hundreds of firemen are still trying to put out the fire," a police official at the scene said to a news agency.
The four-storey Mingalar market, with more than 4,000 shops and stalls, is well known for its wholesale outlets and people from all over the country flock there for goods to trade.
"My shop was completely burned down. I have lost everything," said Myint Myint, 47, one of hundreds of people who stood at the scene to see the destruction.
Dozens of firetrucks drew water from the nearby Kandawgyi lake as hundreds of firemen battled to bring the blaze under control.
"A fireman man was injured while putting out the fire on the fourth floor. Apart from that, no casualties have been reported yet. We hope we can control the fire soon," a security official at the scene said to a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know