Huge fire breaks out at Myanmar`s main market
Yangon: A huge fire broke out at the main market in Myanmar`s biggest city Yangon on Monday destroying hundreds of shops, but no victims were reported, shop owners and officials said.
"We do not know the reason yet. Hundreds of firemen are still trying to put out the fire," a police official at the scene said to a news agency.
The four-storey Mingalar market, with more than 4,000 shops and stalls, is well known for its wholesale outlets and people from all over the country flock there for goods to trade.
"My shop was completely burned down. I have lost everything," said Myint Myint, 47, one of hundreds of people who stood at the scene to see the destruction.
Dozens of firetrucks drew water from the nearby Kandawgyi lake as hundreds of firemen battled to bring the blaze under control.
"A fireman man was injured while putting out the fire on the fourth floor. Apart from that, no casualties have been reported yet. We hope we can control the fire soon," a security official at the scene said to a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr