Huge icestorm causes chaos in Toronto
Toronto: Thousands of people were left in darkness in Toronto, Canada`s largest city, after an icestorm brought down many power lines throughout the region.
The storm Sunday, which is also affecting the rest of Canada`s eastern provinces, has caused serious traffic problems in Toronto and the suspension of public tram service there.
The city`s hydroelectric company, Toronto Hydro, said at least 250,000 people had no electricity in their homes Sunday and the firm`s director, Anthony Haines, said that the storm has been "catastrophic" for area residents and "one of the worst" such storms ever.
He added that Toronto Hydro is focusing on supplying electricity to several hospitals affected by the power outages.
The weight of the ice that has accumulated on tram lines, electric power lines and tree branches has caused many of them to break, resulting in the power outages and blocking many streets, to say nothing of the damage caused to vehicles and homes.
However, Toronto authorities have not reported any serious injuries, or worse, resulting from the storm.
Weather authorities warned that in the coming hours the region will be affected by wind gusts that could cause more branches - and presumably power lines - to fall and Toronto police have asked residents to avoid going outside due to the dangers posed by fallen branches, downed power lines and heavily iced sidewalks and roadways.
At least 200 flights were canceled at Canada`s main airport, Pearson, outside Toronto and this on a weekend when thousands of people are traveling home for the upcoming holidays. Hundreds of flights were also canceled across eastern Canada.
In Quebec, about 50,000 people were without power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA