Hugo Chavez condition is stabilizing: Venezuela`s VP
Caracas: Venezuela`s government said that President Hugo Chavez`s condition is becoming increasingly stable as the socialist leader recovers from a cancer-related operation in Cuba.
Vice President Nicolas Maduro said ruling party member Cilia Flores gave him the update on Chavez`s recovery upon her return from the communist-led island.
"Each day that passes, his recovery is more stable and he`s receiving the best treatment," Maduro told to a crowd of government supporters in Yaracuy state.
Chavez underwent surgery December 11, about two months after being elected to another six-year presidential term. It was his fourth cancer-related operation since June 2011.
Complications following the latest surgery and Chavez`s silence since the procedure have thrown into doubt whether he will be able to return to Venezuela for his January 10 inauguration.
National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello said earlier yesterday that ruling party lawmakers, who hold a majority in the legislature, won`t call a new presidential election if Chavez can`t return from Cuba in time for the swearing-in ceremony.
"That`s not going to happen," he said.
Cabello`s statement pointed to an impending legal dispute that would likely be resolved by Venezuela`s Supreme Court, which is packed with justices appointed by pro-Chavez lawmakers.
Opposition leaders argue that the constitution does not allow for a president`s inauguration to be postponed.
On Thursday, Maduro said Chavez has been with his family resting while receiving treatment for a respiratory infection.
In addition to the infection, the 58-year-old Chavez also suffered bleeding during the operation, which the government said was promptly stanched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'