Hugo Chavez condition is stabilizing: Venezuela`s VP
Caracas: Venezuela`s government said that President Hugo Chavez`s condition is becoming increasingly stable as the socialist leader recovers from a cancer-related operation in Cuba.
Vice President Nicolas Maduro said ruling party member Cilia Flores gave him the update on Chavez`s recovery upon her return from the communist-led island.
"Each day that passes, his recovery is more stable and he`s receiving the best treatment," Maduro told to a crowd of government supporters in Yaracuy state.
Chavez underwent surgery December 11, about two months after being elected to another six-year presidential term. It was his fourth cancer-related operation since June 2011.
Complications following the latest surgery and Chavez`s silence since the procedure have thrown into doubt whether he will be able to return to Venezuela for his January 10 inauguration.
National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello said earlier yesterday that ruling party lawmakers, who hold a majority in the legislature, won`t call a new presidential election if Chavez can`t return from Cuba in time for the swearing-in ceremony.
"That`s not going to happen," he said.
Cabello`s statement pointed to an impending legal dispute that would likely be resolved by Venezuela`s Supreme Court, which is packed with justices appointed by pro-Chavez lawmakers.
Opposition leaders argue that the constitution does not allow for a president`s inauguration to be postponed.
On Thursday, Maduro said Chavez has been with his family resting while receiving treatment for a respiratory infection.
In addition to the infection, the 58-year-old Chavez also suffered bleeding during the operation, which the government said was promptly stanched.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents