Hugo Chavez kept alive by life support?
London: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is in an induced coma and being kept alive by life support following complications during cancer surgery, a British daily said Wednesday.
Sources at the hospital in Cuba where Chavez is being treated told a Spanish newspaper that the president was showing "very weak" vital signs, and that doctors could decide to switch off the machines "at any moment", the Daily Mail reported.
Vice President Nicolas Maduro said the ailing president`s condition remains "delicate" three weeks after his cancer surgery.
He did not provide details and told Venezuelans to ignore speculation about Chavez`s health.
"He`s totally conscious of the complexity of his post-operative state and he expressly asked us... to keep the nation informed always, always with the truth, as hard as it may be in certain circumstances," Maduro was quoted as saying.
Chavez has not been seen or heard from since the Dec 11 operation, and officials have reported a series of ups and downs in his recovery.
Maduro did not refer to any rumours in particular, though one of them has described Chavez as being in a coma.
He said Chavez faces "a complex and delicate situation". But also said that when he talked with the president and looked at his face, Chavez seemed to have "the same strength as always".
Chavez has been fighting an undisclosed type of pelvic cancer since June 2011. He has declined to reveal the precise location of the tumours that have been surgically removed. The president announced Dec 8, two months after winning the re-election, that his cancer had come back despite previous surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation treatment.
Chavez is scheduled to be sworn in Jan 10 for his new term. If he dies or is unable to continue in office, the Venezuelan Constitution says a new election should be held within 30 days.
Before his operation, Chavez designated Maduro as his successor, telling supporters they should vote for the vice president if a new presidential election was necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow