`Hugo Chavez suffered complications in surgery`
Caracas: President Hugo Chavez suffered bleeding during his cancer surgery in Cuba but was recovering from the complications, Venezuela`s government said on Thursday.
Chavez suffered "bleeding that required the use of corrective measures" during Tuesday`s surgery, Information Minister Ernesto Villegas said, reading a government statement. It said those measures allowed for the "opportune control" of the bleeding.
Villegas also said that Chavez was going through "a progressive and favourable recovery of the normal values of his vital signs”.
"This recovery process, nevertheless, will require a prudent period of time as a consequence of the complexity of the surgery performed," he said.
Villegas expressed hope a day earlier about the president returning home for his January 10 swearing-in for a new six-year term, but said in a written message on a government website that if Chavez doesn`t make it, "our people should be prepared to understand it”.
Chavez underwent his fourth cancer-related operation in Havana after announcing that tests had found the illness had come back despite previous operations, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Chavez has kept secret some details about the pelvic cancer, including the type and location of the tumours that have been removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok