‘Hugo Chavez suffering from respiratory problems’
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is still suffering from respiratory problems, after his operation in Cuba more than two months ago as he continues to battle cancer, the Venezuelan government has said.
Information Minister, Ernesto Villegas informed about Chavez’s health with a brief statement on on national TV.
Chavez returned home last week after a two-month cancer treatment in Cuba. The 58-year-old leader underwent cancer surgery in Cuba Dec 11.
Chavez was re-elected to a new six-year term in October, and his inauguration, originally scheduled for January 10, was indefinitely postponed by lawmakers in a decision that the Supreme Court upheld despite complaints by the opposition. Some speculated that with Chavez back, he could finally be sworn in.
Chavez`s precise condition and the sort of cancer treatments he is undergoing remain a mystery, and speculation has grown recently that he may not be able to stay on as president.
The Venezuelan Constitution says that if a president dies or steps down, a new vote must be called and held within 30 days. Chavez raised that possibility before he left for Cuba in December by saying that if necessary, Maduro should run in a new vote to replace him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley