‘Hugo Chavez suffering from respiratory problems’
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is still suffering from respiratory problems, after his operation in Cuba more than two months ago as he continues to battle cancer, the Venezuelan government has said.
Information Minister, Ernesto Villegas informed about Chavez’s health with a brief statement on on national TV.
Chavez returned home last week after a two-month cancer treatment in Cuba. The 58-year-old leader underwent cancer surgery in Cuba Dec 11.
Chavez was re-elected to a new six-year term in October, and his inauguration, originally scheduled for January 10, was indefinitely postponed by lawmakers in a decision that the Supreme Court upheld despite complaints by the opposition. Some speculated that with Chavez back, he could finally be sworn in.
Chavez`s precise condition and the sort of cancer treatments he is undergoing remain a mystery, and speculation has grown recently that he may not be able to stay on as president.
The Venezuelan Constitution says that if a president dies or steps down, a new vote must be called and held within 30 days. Chavez raised that possibility before he left for Cuba in December by saying that if necessary, Maduro should run in a new vote to replace him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video