Hugo Chavez`s cancer operation a ‘complete success’
Caracas: Medics conducted a “complex” and “successful” cancer surgery on Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, Vice President Nicolas Maduro said on Wednesday.
Speaking on national television, Maduro said that the surgery that lasted for six hours, was completed "correctly and successfully”, though it was "a complex operation".
“We`ve lived through complex moments of tension," Maduro added.
"We`re waiting for you here," Maduro said, addressing Chavez on television. "You have to return, and we`re waiting for you here, your children, we who`ve sworn to be loyal to you even beyond this life."
Maduro added: "If there were another life, we`d be loyal and we`d be your soldiers forever."
Maduro also led an outdoor vigil where the president`s supporters joined hands in prayer and sang along with a recording of Chavez singing the national anthem.
Maduro was on Sunday announced as the preferred next successor of Chavez by President himself.
Supporters held a prayer meeting in downtown Caracas while the surgery was under way, singing hymns.
It was the fourth cancer-related operation that Chavez has undergone since June 2011.
Chavez returned to Venezuela early Friday after nine days of treatment in Cuba.
The President arrived in Cuba on November 27 to undergo a new round of hyperbaric oxygenation and physical therapy, just six months after having finished radiation therapy.
The Venezuelan leader has had three surgeries since June 2011, when cancer was detected in his pelvic region.
The exact location of the cancer and its seriousness have never been officially revealed.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH