Hugo Chavez`s cancer operation a ‘complete success’
Caracas: Medics conducted a “complex” and “successful” cancer surgery on Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, Vice President Nicolas Maduro said on Wednesday.
Speaking on national television, Maduro said that the surgery that lasted for six hours, was completed "correctly and successfully”, though it was "a complex operation".
“We`ve lived through complex moments of tension," Maduro added.
"We`re waiting for you here," Maduro said, addressing Chavez on television. "You have to return, and we`re waiting for you here, your children, we who`ve sworn to be loyal to you even beyond this life."
Maduro added: "If there were another life, we`d be loyal and we`d be your soldiers forever."
Maduro also led an outdoor vigil where the president`s supporters joined hands in prayer and sang along with a recording of Chavez singing the national anthem.
Maduro was on Sunday announced as the preferred next successor of Chavez by President himself.
Supporters held a prayer meeting in downtown Caracas while the surgery was under way, singing hymns.
It was the fourth cancer-related operation that Chavez has undergone since June 2011.
Chavez returned to Venezuela early Friday after nine days of treatment in Cuba.
The President arrived in Cuba on November 27 to undergo a new round of hyperbaric oxygenation and physical therapy, just six months after having finished radiation therapy.
The Venezuelan leader has had three surgeries since June 2011, when cancer was detected in his pelvic region.
The exact location of the cancer and its seriousness have never been officially revealed.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra