Hugo Chavez`s successor a devotee of Sathya Sai Baba
Hyderabad: Venezuela`s Vice President Nicolas Maduro, who is taking over leadership of Hugo Chavez`s political movement after the socialist leader`s death on March 05, has a spiritual connection with India.
Maduro was a follower of Sathya Sai Baba and had reportedly visited the latter`s ashram at Puttaparthi in Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh, in 2005. His wife, Cilia Flores, also accompanied him.
The details of the conversation Maduro had with Sathya Sai Baba are not available but the successor to Chavez is known to be the staunch follower of the Baba. In fact, the death of Baba due to multi-organ failure on April 24, 2011was discussed in the Venezuela Parliament at the behest of Maduro.
The photographs of Maduro sitting on the floor in front of the late Indian spiritual guru during his visit are also available. Also, Maduro`s office features a large portrait of the Baba, which was gifted to him during his 2005 visit.
In a statement, Sathya Sai Central Trust confirmed that Maduro had visited Puttaparthi during his tenure as the foreign affairs minister of Venezuela.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred