Human Rights Council is flawed: US
New York: Without giving specific names, the US has described as "problematic" the election of certain countries to the Human Rights Council.
Yesterday, 14 countries were elected to the Geneva-based council including Libya, which invited much criticism from human rights group.
"This year there is a small number of countries whose human rights record is problematic. We regret that," said Susan Rice, US envoy to the UN, without naming Libya.
"I think it`s obvious that which are on the ballot have more problematic human rights record than others," she added.
The Human Rights Council is four years-old and the elected countries for three years are Angola, Mauritania, Uganda, Libya, Maldives, Thailand, Malaysia, Qatar, Moldova, Poland, Ecuador, Guatemala, Peru, Spain and Switzerland.
However, Libya got 155 votes with 97 needed for elections.
"It is the US view that countries that run for and are elected to the human rights council ought to be those whose record on human rights are strong and cannot be impugned," Rice said. "And those that do not meet that standard really don`t merit membership on the human rights council."
Several human rights group criticised the human rights record of countries like Angola, Libya and Thailand. "The council elections have become a pre-cooked process that strips the meaning from the membership standards established by the General Assembly," said Peggy Hicks, global advocacy director at Human Rights Watch.
"States serious about the role the council can play in promoting human rights should push for competitive slates in all regions, and should be willing to compete for a seat themselves," she added.
Describing the Council as flawed, Rice noted that the US, which joined the Council a year ago, preferred to reform the council from inside rather than abandon it.
"It is preferable to work from within to shape and reform a body with the importance and potential of the human rights council rather than stay on the sidelines and reject it," the US envoy said.
"We don`t measure the success of the council solely by who is on the body. The most important metric is what the council does," she added.
The US blocked Iran`s entry into the human rights council but Tehran got elected on the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) for three years in April.
The CSW reviews the status of women`s rights in nations and issues reports on its findings. "In light of Iran`s record on human rights and women`s rights in particular that`s an unfortunate outcome," Rice said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt