Human rights violations in China matter of concern: US
Washington: Concerned over the continuing human rights violations in China, US has asked authorities in Beijing to stop the "extralegal" detention and "enforced disappearance" of leading lawyers and rights activists.
"The United States is increasingly concerned by the apparent extralegal detention and enforced disappearance of some of China`s most well-known lawyers and activists, many of whom have been missing since mid-February," State Department spokesman P J Crowley said.
Crowley said a number of well-known Chinese personalities like Teng Biao, Tang Jitian Jiang Tianyong and Gu Chuan had all disappeared between February 16-19.
"We have expressed our concern to the Chinese Government over the use of extralegal punishments against these and other human rights activists," he said.
The United States continues to urge China to uphold its internationally recognised obligations of universal human rights, including the freedoms of expression, association, and assembly, he said.
Crowley said US remains concerned about the treatment of journalists in China as well as elsewhere around the world.
"This has been a subject of longstanding concern and longstanding discussion with China."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video