Hundreds evacuated from terminal at NY airport
New York: Hundreds of passengers and staff were evacuated from a terminal at New York City`s Kennedy Airport after a metal detector malfunctioned at a security checkpoint.
The Transportation Security Administration says it closed Kennedy`s Terminal 7 for about two hours on Saturday morning after discovering the equipment problem and realising that people had been let through without being properly screened.
Procedures call for the entire terminal to be emptied and passengers re-checked whenever that happens.
Some travellers have posted photographs on Twitter showing the lobby jammed with people waiting to get back in.
The terminal is used by British Airways, United, and other airlines.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the screening checkpoints were reopened to passengers by 11:45 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security