Hundreds evacuated from terminal at NY airport
New York: Hundreds of passengers and staff were evacuated from a terminal at New York City`s Kennedy Airport after a metal detector malfunctioned at a security checkpoint.
The Transportation Security Administration says it closed Kennedy`s Terminal 7 for about two hours on Saturday morning after discovering the equipment problem and realising that people had been let through without being properly screened.
Procedures call for the entire terminal to be emptied and passengers re-checked whenever that happens.
Some travellers have posted photographs on Twitter showing the lobby jammed with people waiting to get back in.
The terminal is used by British Airways, United, and other airlines.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the screening checkpoints were reopened to passengers by 11:45 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu