Hundreds evacuated from terminal at NY airport
New York: Hundreds of passengers and staff were evacuated from a terminal at New York City`s Kennedy Airport after a metal detector malfunctioned at a security checkpoint.
The Transportation Security Administration says it closed Kennedy`s Terminal 7 for about two hours on Saturday morning after discovering the equipment problem and realising that people had been let through without being properly screened.
Procedures call for the entire terminal to be emptied and passengers re-checked whenever that happens.
Some travellers have posted photographs on Twitter showing the lobby jammed with people waiting to get back in.
The terminal is used by British Airways, United, and other airlines.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the screening checkpoints were reopened to passengers by 11:45 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre