Hundreds evacuated in Iceland as volcano erupts
Reykjavikl: Up to 800 people were evacuated
in Iceland today because of a volcano eruption at the
Eyjafjallajokull glacier in the south of the island, a police
"Between 700 and 800 people were evacuated from their
homes because of the risk of an eruption in Eyjafjallajokull
and because there were a lot of earthquakes in the area,"
Baldur Sigurdsson told a news agency.
"We do not know exactly when the eruption started, but
most probably around one o`clock this morning," Magnus Tumi
Gudmundsson, a professor of geophysics and civil protection
advisor, told a news agency.
"Officials in two aeroplanes have seen smoke. The
eruption is rather small at the moment," Gudmundsson said,
however noting there was an increased water flow coming from
Icelandic public broadcaster RUV said on its website the
evacuees were being directed to Red Cross mass care centres.
Last month, the first volcano eruption at the
Eyjafjallajokull glacier since 1823 -- and Iceland`s first
since 2004 -- briefly forced 600 people from their homes in
the remote, lightly populated area 125 kilometres east of the
Gudmonsson said that eruption, at the Fimmvorduhals
volcano, had ended Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!