Hundreds evacuated in Iceland as volcano erupts
Reykjavikl: Up to 800 people were evacuated
in Iceland today because of a volcano eruption at the
Eyjafjallajokull glacier in the south of the island, a police
"Between 700 and 800 people were evacuated from their
homes because of the risk of an eruption in Eyjafjallajokull
and because there were a lot of earthquakes in the area,"
Baldur Sigurdsson told a news agency.
"We do not know exactly when the eruption started, but
most probably around one o`clock this morning," Magnus Tumi
Gudmundsson, a professor of geophysics and civil protection
advisor, told a news agency.
"Officials in two aeroplanes have seen smoke. The
eruption is rather small at the moment," Gudmundsson said,
however noting there was an increased water flow coming from
Icelandic public broadcaster RUV said on its website the
evacuees were being directed to Red Cross mass care centres.
Last month, the first volcano eruption at the
Eyjafjallajokull glacier since 1823 -- and Iceland`s first
since 2004 -- briefly forced 600 people from their homes in
the remote, lightly populated area 125 kilometres east of the
Gudmonsson said that eruption, at the Fimmvorduhals
volcano, had ended Tuesday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents