Hundreds flee as storm hits southern Philippines
Manila: Hundreds of people fled their homes
for higher ground on Friday as a tropical storm unleashed
scattered floods in a usually cyclone-free area of the
southern Philippines, officials said.
Some 300 people had to leave their homes as overnight
heavy rains from tropical storm Washi caused flooding in
Dipolog city on the island of Mindanao, civil defence office
operations chief Edgar Ollet said.
"I hope we will avoid casualties. This area is rarely hit
by typhoons, which means locals may not be as prepared,
compared to the rest of the country," Ollet said.
Washi struck Mindanao`s southeast coast at 2:30 pm (1200
IST) with winds gusting at 90 kilometres an hour, the state
weather service said.
The storm was now moving west across the large island,
weather forecaster Gilbert Aquino said.
Mindanao is a largely agricultural area that is
considered the country`s breadbasket.
"That area is rarely hit by typhoons," Aquino said,
adding regional officials have been alerted to warn residents
about the dangers of landslides and flash floods.
The Philippines endures about 20 major storms annually,
with most hitting Luzon, the largest and most populous island
in the Southeast Asian archipelago.
Two typhoons, Nesat and Nalgae, hit the country within
days of each other from September 27, leaving more than 100
people dead, while tropical storm Banyan killed another eight
people in October, by government count.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in