Hundreds flee violence-ridden Nigerian city
Abuja: Hundreds of residents of a northeastern Nigerian city were fleeing after four days of attacks by radical Islamic sect Boko Haram that left at least 31 dead and many buildings and properties razed.
The city of Potiskum is under security lockdown since Thursday due to rising militant activities.
An inhabitant of the city told Thisday newspaper that hundreds of people, especially those living on the outskirts of the city, are fleeing with their belongings.
"My wife and children are in trauma from the attacks and want a change of environment where they can have peace," he said.
The city is the commercial nerve centre of Yobe State where Boko Haram has a base.
Yesterday, security was relaxed and residents who were forced to stay indoors started escaping to avoid being caught in crossfire.
On Friday, spokesman of the Joint Task Force, Lt Colonel Sagir Musa said a high profile commander Shuaibu Muhammed Bama was arrested in the house of a senator.
Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic caliphate in northern Nigeria though the region has a large number of Christians who are in the minority.
In the southern part of the country where the Christians are in majority, the sect has not been able to establish its presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA