Hundreds of migrants reach Italy after sea rescues
Rome: Italian authorities say more than 470 migrants have reached Italy in a 24-hour period after being rescued at sea.
The Coast Guard said today the migrants include 22 from Nigeria and other west African nations who were taken to Lampedusa island.
Italian TV showed a wrecked motorized rubber dinghy that the Africans told authorities had capsized after setting off from Libya`s coast. They said the raft deflated, causing 31 aboard to drown.
Each year, thousands of migrants pay smugglers in hope of slipping ashore in Italy. Many attempt the Mediterranean crossing during periods of calm warm seas, as in recent days.
Those who die were mourned by Pope Francis during his recent trip to Lampedusa, which is closer to northern Africa than to the Italian mainland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city