Hundreds of migrants reach Italy after sea rescues
Rome: Italian authorities say more than 470 migrants have reached Italy in a 24-hour period after being rescued at sea.
The Coast Guard said today the migrants include 22 from Nigeria and other west African nations who were taken to Lampedusa island.
Italian TV showed a wrecked motorized rubber dinghy that the Africans told authorities had capsized after setting off from Libya`s coast. They said the raft deflated, causing 31 aboard to drown.
Each year, thousands of migrants pay smugglers in hope of slipping ashore in Italy. Many attempt the Mediterranean crossing during periods of calm warm seas, as in recent days.
Those who die were mourned by Pope Francis during his recent trip to Lampedusa, which is closer to northern Africa than to the Italian mainland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past