Hundreds of migrants reach Italy after sea rescues
Rome: Italian authorities say more than 470 migrants have reached Italy in a 24-hour period after being rescued at sea.
The Coast Guard said today the migrants include 22 from Nigeria and other west African nations who were taken to Lampedusa island.
Italian TV showed a wrecked motorized rubber dinghy that the Africans told authorities had capsized after setting off from Libya`s coast. They said the raft deflated, causing 31 aboard to drown.
Each year, thousands of migrants pay smugglers in hope of slipping ashore in Italy. Many attempt the Mediterranean crossing during periods of calm warm seas, as in recent days.
Those who die were mourned by Pope Francis during his recent trip to Lampedusa, which is closer to northern Africa than to the Italian mainland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon