Hundreds of police stage rare protests in Egypt
Cairo: Hundreds of low-ranking policemen in Egypt are holding protests to demand they not be used as a tool for political oppression in the country`s ongoing turmoil.
Dozens of policemen rallied today outside local security administration headquarters in at least 10 provinces. Some of them carried signs reading, "we are innocent of the blood of the martyrs."
Although small, the protests marked a rare instance of dissent by Egypt`s police force. The rallies reflect fears among many policemen of a public backlash after weeks of violent crackdowns on anti-government protests.
Rights activists allege that police have used excessive force against the latest wave of protests that started on the eve of the second anniversary of the 2011 Egyptian 2011 uprising that toppled longtime President Hosni Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country