Hundreds of police stage rare protests in Egypt
Cairo: Hundreds of low-ranking policemen in Egypt are holding protests to demand they not be used as a tool for political oppression in the country`s ongoing turmoil.
Dozens of policemen rallied today outside local security administration headquarters in at least 10 provinces. Some of them carried signs reading, "we are innocent of the blood of the martyrs."
Although small, the protests marked a rare instance of dissent by Egypt`s police force. The rallies reflect fears among many policemen of a public backlash after weeks of violent crackdowns on anti-government protests.
Rights activists allege that police have used excessive force against the latest wave of protests that started on the eve of the second anniversary of the 2011 Egyptian 2011 uprising that toppled longtime President Hosni Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months