Hundreds of security forces block Saudi protest
Cairo: Outnumbered by anti-riot police,
dozens of Saudi men and women protested outside Riyadh`s
Interior Ministry, demanding the release of thousands of
detainees held without trial for years.
Witnesses say a number of protesters were arrested
today after trying to push their way into the building,
heavily fortified by about 2,000 special forces and some 200
There was no official confirmation on the arrests.
It was the third protest this month by families and
activists demanding information on the fate of people held
without trial for years on security and terrorism charges.
Saudi authorities ban demonstrations and appear increasingly
determined to prevent the spread of unrest inspired by
uprisings across the Arab world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!
- Fire kills at least 16 in Moscow printing works