Hundreds of security forces block Saudi protest
Cairo: Outnumbered by anti-riot police,
dozens of Saudi men and women protested outside Riyadh`s
Interior Ministry, demanding the release of thousands of
detainees held without trial for years.
Witnesses say a number of protesters were arrested
today after trying to push their way into the building,
heavily fortified by about 2,000 special forces and some 200
There was no official confirmation on the arrests.
It was the third protest this month by families and
activists demanding information on the fate of people held
without trial for years on security and terrorism charges.
Saudi authorities ban demonstrations and appear increasingly
determined to prevent the spread of unrest inspired by
uprisings across the Arab world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list