Hundreds of security forces block Saudi protest
Cairo: Outnumbered by anti-riot police,
dozens of Saudi men and women protested outside Riyadh`s
Interior Ministry, demanding the release of thousands of
detainees held without trial for years.
Witnesses say a number of protesters were arrested
today after trying to push their way into the building,
heavily fortified by about 2,000 special forces and some 200
There was no official confirmation on the arrests.
It was the third protest this month by families and
activists demanding information on the fate of people held
without trial for years on security and terrorism charges.
Saudi authorities ban demonstrations and appear increasingly
determined to prevent the spread of unrest inspired by
uprisings across the Arab world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!